Gallery, History, Stained Glass Windows
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Brighton Beach’s Anglicans worshipped at St Peter’s Chapel of Ease in Lynch Street, which formed part of the Parish of Saint Andrews in Brighton. Around the turn of the century, the Brighton Beach parishioners felt led to establish a separate parish. This project was greatly assisted when Neil MacGlashan donated the land on which Saint Peter’s now stands. Generous gifts from a number of prominent local families, including the Were, Burston and Francis Stewart families, also assisted in the building of the church. Built in 1908, consecrated the following year and enlarged in 1934, Saint Peter’s church building was designed by John Grainger, who also designed Melbourne’s famous Princes Bridge.